Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Turkey Trottin' {6,266}

Today we went to two sites - Assos and Pergamon!



First on the schedule was Assos.
We parked the bus at the bottom of a hill and walked up a beautiful cobble stone steppy path through houses and shops up to the site.

Once we reached the top, we saw one of the most beautiful panorama's.
This site had some stunning views of the Aegean sea . . .  and the island of Lesbos.
Tribute to Dani!
















All that is left of Assos is a couple of standing pillars from the ancient Athena Temple.
This was a special site to visit because Paul visited and preached to the people here.



My favorite part of being in Assos was Bro. Huntsman's devotional about Paul's visit to the area.
I feel so blessed to be able to visit these sites that are talked about in the scriptures.
We sang "I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go, Dear Lord" and I was just filled with the spirit, and the desire to go and serve wherever the Lord directs me. It was a beautiful experience.
..................................................................................................................................................

Next up on the list was PERGAMUM.


I LOVE TRAMS!
We drove a little over two hours to our lunch spot, then we took a TRAM {SO FUN } up to Pergamum.

JOY
Riding up to the tippy top!











Temple
We played around the Temple of Trajan and then decided to explore the underground vaulting platform which supports the temple. This was super cool, and relates to Jerusalem because it is very similar to the vaulting below the Temple Mount...who'da thunk?!




 

Vaulting beneath


My favorite part of Pergamum was its theater! Not only was the spectacular view of the valley below beautiful, but the stone theater was just stunning to see. It is built on the slop of the hill, and contains over 10,000 seats. This is the steepest seating of any known theater in the ancient world.









1 comment:

  1. Schbee!~! You have the coolest blog in blogger land! I love all your fun pics- like your tribute to Dani. I love your play on words! I love your "the dock was a dock" and "I'm in a horse" i was CrAcKInG up! I love your cool trip to the holy land! I love my life! I love you! I love that you are filling me in on your cool life! I miss you!!!!

    ReplyDelete