Friday, March 16, 2012

Good News: Saw more Turkey today! {10,709 steps}

Today we explored the ancient city Ephesus.
It is really amazing how much of this city is still standing. Yes, it was a lot of ruins and broken buildings and fallen pillars, but you could really visualize how it might have looked years and years ago.
Model poses with Ethan and Kyle. It felt right
Streetz

Who needs pillars . . . 






When Ephesus was under the control of the Romans, it was the capital of the province of Asia and one of the largest cities in the Roman Empire.
Sam, Erin, me in front of the library of Celsus



The biggest standing structure at Ephesus was this Library. Beautiful, right?

Library Entrance




We saw another great theater today - It was bigger than the one at Pergamum! 
It is called the Great Theater, and could hold 25,000 spectators . . .
But...Pergamum's theater was much more beautiful, in my humble opinion. 
Sadly I do not have a picture of the theater at Ephesus. . .so you'll just have to believe me. Or google it.
Courtney Neves vs. Bailey Bradshaw. 





LIONESSES
Seriously tho - Lions would enter the theater
through this opening back in the day

Of course, a highlight of the day was walking down this here street, which is pictured in our scriptures!
OH - if you look in the background of this pic, you can see the Great Theater - HUGE!
But, that's not the important part, look where I am!

So check me out


Little did I know that life could in fact get better, and we would visit one more site today - PRIENE!
There was yet another theater at this site - complete with sweet stone chairs - but my favorite part was the hike up to this ancient Greek city and its spectacular view.
It was up on these cliffs and we got a great view across the plains.
It reminded me of home a little bit. Just the green colors. Beautiful flowers. Hiking up. Oh, and seeing some sheep and a shepherd. Home sweet home.
 This was a great site, with a little theater, small Christian basilica, gorgeous temple to Athena, and a council hall. 
My best friend


Vladi and me with some HUGE pillars




So stoic
The group in the pillar graveyard

While we were in the theater, Bro. Ludlow taught about Paul's final visit to the elders of Ephesus. He talked about farewells and reunions, and how important it is for us to stay true to our faith. I almost felt like crying during his little devotional, as I thought back to Sterling leaving the center, and then thought forward to the little time that I have left here. It is so important to make the most of ever moment, and to always live in a way that you will be proud and happy about.

Love the life you live, live the life you love!

2 comments:

  1. love the pics B! wait did i miss something? who is sterling? and how come he left?

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too, I was confused what you meant about sterling.........
    love the posts and love seeing where you have been and what you are doing.
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete